Friday 30 September 2011

Yew Ming wants to keep playing in the doubles

Malaysian No. 1 Si Yew Ming is hoping to continue playing doubles in the Malaysian Open tennis championships for many more years.
The 32-year-old Yew Ming, who partnered American teen sensation Ryan Harrison as a wildcard pair, came close to achieving an historic feat of reaching the second round on Wednesday.
The pair lost 4-6, 5-7 to Eric Butorac-Jean Julien Rojer.
“It was a great experience for me. Harrison had great energy and I felt good about the way I played,” said Yew Ming yesterday.
“Despite the loss, I’m happy with my performance and I would love to come back and play in the doubles event again next year.”
The soft spoken Ipoh-born Yew Ming had earlier given a spirited performance in the singles qualifying round before losing to Ukraine’s Stanislav Poplavskyy.
No Malaysian player has ever reached the second round of the Malaysian Open.
Still, it was a commendable performance by both Yew Ming and Harrison – especially the Malaysian, who has held the fort for local tennis for the past decade.