Friday 30 September 2011

Davydenko goes for relaxed approach

FORMER ATP Malaysian Open champion Nikolai Davydenko has opted for a more relaxed approach to his game since struggling to return to form after injuring his wrist last year.
The Russian, who has been ranked as high as World No 3, said he has fully recovered from the injury.
"When I came back from my injury, I felt the need to go back straight into the top 10 and I pushed myself very hard to achieve that," said the World No 36.
"When it didn't happen, I got frustrated and kept asking myself why I could not be the same anymore. I now have decided to try and relax more and just enjoy myself,"
"It is tough to combine a life as a competitive tennis player and enjoy life at the same time but maybe when I am feeling more confident, I will push myself once again."
Davydenko disclosed that he is looking to change his game in the future to minimise the long energy-sapping rallies he has to play.
"I cannot sustain long rallies as age is catching up. I need to play smart tennis to last longer on the tour," added the 30-year-old who has won 21 tour titles.