Tuesday 27 September 2011

Davydenko starts singles campaign strongly against Harrison

Fifth seeded Russian Nicolay Davydenko eased his way into the second round after defeating American teenage sensation Ryan Harrison 6-3, 6-2 in tonight’s big match on Centre Court.
The 19-year-old Harrison, who has been touted as the next big name in American tennis, got off to a slow start, allowing Davydenko to break his serve early in the first set before getting back into the match as the 30-year-old Russian began to tire.
Harrison started with greater purpose in the second set and broke Davydenko in the third game. But his more experienced opponent immediately returned the favour and went on to wrap the game up in 88 minutes.
”We had a lot of long rallies at the start and I was running a lot. I got a little bit tired towards the end of the first set. He’s a young player and he plays well with good baseline play and volleys. But I just kept fighting and I’m happy I managed the same level in the second set,” said the Russian world No.36.
Asked what his target for the tournament was, Davydenko replied that “right now, I just want to get past the second round.”
Harrison conceded that his opponent deserved the victory today.
“He was very good from the start and was rushing me around the court a lot. He is a world class tennis player and he is definitely playing at a higher level than me right now. I need to press a little more and push up my level,” said the American teenager. - Karan (Malaysian Open)