Friday 24 February 2012

Marion aims to get back on track

MARION Bartoli is in a deep slump following back-to-back setbacks in the Middle East but the Frenchwoman is determined to bounce back in next week's WTA Tour BMW Malaysian Open at Bukit Kiara Equestrian & Country Club.
The former Wimbledon finalist was on the road to having her best ever season after reaching a career-high ranking of No 7 last month.
She celebrated her breakthrough by reaching the final of the Paris Indoors but bowed out to Germany's Angelique Kerber 6-7 (3-7), 7-5, 3-6.
The following week in Doha, the 28-year-old reached the semi-finals against Australia's Samantha Stosur but had to retire with a right calf injury after losing the first set 6-3. And two days ago at the Dubai Championships, an unfit Marion lost 6-4, 6-3 to China's World No 17 Peng Shuai in the first round.
Marion was the second seed in her Malaysian Open debut but was ousted by the Czech Republic's Lucie Safarova in the quarter-finals. She is the top seed for this year's edition.
"I will try my best to do better this time in Kuala Lumpur. I don't think the hot weather will affect me, In fact, I've played some of my best tennis in humid conditions,"
On breaking into the top-eight for the first time on the tour, Marion said she is proud of her achievement.
"Of course I don't want to stop there. It's just a number to me, and I don't want to give myself any limits. I want to keep working hard on and off the court to do even better.
"I have beaten lot of great players, so I hope I will keep rising up the rankings.
"The key is to train at a high intensity and at the same time avoid getting injured but it's a hard task," said Marion, who has won seven tour titles. -NST