Friday 24 February 2012

Different missions for duo

JAWAIRIAH Noordin and Choo Lyn Yuen are raring for action in the BMW Malaysian Open qualifiers with the former aiming to become the first local player to win a match in the tournament which starts on Saturday.
It will be Jawairiah's second appearance in the tournament following her 6-2, 6-2 defeat to Kyrgyzstan's Ksenia Palkina in the first-round qualifiers at the inaugural event two years ago.
The 22-year-old earned one of the two local wild cards for this year's edition by winning a recent trial.
The Penang-born is determined to resurrect her career in the Malaysian Open. "I want to be the first local player to win a match in the Malaysian Open. It does not matter if I only manage a win in the qualifiers," said Jawairiah yesterday.
"It is tough to gauge my form as I did not get a single good match at the local trial, but I have been training hard and, hopefully, it will be enough to achieve something in this tournament."
Jawairiah added: "I am aware it is a little late to make a career out of the sport at 22 but I am willing to take the risk before I retire in five years' time."
As for Lyn Yuen, the 16-year-old will officially make her WTA Tour debut in the qualifiers on Saturday.
She has been training three to four hours a day for the tournament.
"I need to be fearless to make an impact. It will be a good experience for me and I hope to learn from the top professionals," she said.
Lyn Yuen is the last Malaysian to win a sanctioned international event, which she achieved two years ago at the Brunei Junior Championships.-NST