Wednesday 22 February 2012

Ariez wants to keep winning

KUALA LUMPUR: The tables have turned in local men’s tennis scene.
New national No 1 Ariez Elyaas Deen Heesham (pic) defeated his predecessor Si Yew Ming to take the national circuit title at the Jalan Duta Tennis complex yesterday.
“It feels good to win the title. I tried twice last year but failed. Yew Ming had been dominating the scene for several years before this.
“I didn’t think about winning the title at the beginning but grew in confidence as I progressed in the tournament,” said Ariez.
The 19-year-old feels a lot better now than he did last year as he had been working on his mental strength over the last few months.
“I’m mentally composed more than ever. I just have to stay this way. Physically, I’m stronger too.”
Ariez defeated Yew Ming 6-4, 1-6, 6-3. He will next play at the Singapore Challenger this weekend.
Meanwhile, Yew Ming was lost for words after his loss but admitted he had not played his best.
“I don’t know what to say. I didn’t play well and must improve next time,” he said. - Malay Mail