Monday 27 February 2012

Cricket star in KL to support wife Sania

CRICKET fans will be in for a treat at tennis' BMW Malaysian Open.
Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik arrived yesterday with wife Sania Mirza in Kuala Lumpur where he will be at centre court to watch her compete for honours in the tournament.
With Shoaib at her side, Sania will be inspired to make a lasting impression at the Bukit Kiara Equestrian & Country Club
"My focus is on the doubles ahead of the Olympic Games. However, I also want to make inroads in the singles here.
"This tournament is part of my preparation for the Olympics, where I stand a good chance of a medal in mixed doubles (with Mahesh Bhupathi)," said Sania in an e-mail interview yesterday.
"KL is one of my favourite cities and I am looking forward to a good run here. I played here twice, once in exhibition matches and the other in the Fed Cup Qualifiers."
The World No 113, however, has not been performing in the singles since her last victory, seven years ago in Hyderabad but the signs are she is rediscovering her form following her surprise run to the quarter-finals of the recent Pattaya Open.
"I am still trying to build up my confidence. Yes, I have done better in doubles and I think the three surgeries I've had in the last four years have made it difficult for me to perform consistently in singles."
The 26-year-old, a crowd favourite in Kuala Lumpur, will face Greece's Eleni Daniildou in the opening rounds today.
Sania, who is one of India's poster girls, tied the knot with Shoaib two years ago but marriage has not stopped her from pursuing a career in tennis. She, however, did contemplate quitting the sport but decided against it.