Saturday 3 March 2012

Su Wei has a singles problem



HSIEH Su Wei has an awkward problem.
The Taiwanese is ranked highly in the doubles and gets to play in big tournaments but in singles, she struggles to even get into the main draw of small events.
But the 26-year-old's fortunes could change soon as she is making huge strides in singles.
Yesterday, Su Wei continued her semi-final run from the Pattaya Open to the BMW Malaysian Open.
Her quarter-final opponent Agnieszka Randwaska, the World No 5, withdrew due to an elbow injury.
"I face an awkward problem as I don't get to play singles in priority tournaments. I am focusing on singles this season and hopefully my fortunes will change," said Su Wei at the Bukit Kiara Equestrian & Country Resort yesterday.
"I reached the semi-finals in Pattaya and once again here. I hope to go one better in Kuala Lumpur but it will not be easy for me."
Su Wei negotiated three rounds in the qualifiers and defeated higher ranked players in the main draw before the walkover in the quarter-finals.
The World 123 arrived in KL right after bowing out from the doubles semi-finals in Dubai last weekend and hours later played her first round qualifying match.
"I haven't had much sleep since coming over here but I am enjoying every moment of this tournament," said the former Asian Games gold medallist.
She admits, however, that she is not in a good shape.
"I need to sharpen my game and also play with quality opponents more often to improve," said Su Wei.
She achieved a career-high ranking of No 78 in 2008 but later decided on shifting her focus on doubles, where she has won eight tour titles.
"My game is getting better and I hope to break into the top-100 once again. It is not easy playing singles as there are so many good players on the tour," Su Wei added.