Saturday 3 March 2012

Li Na motivates Peng Shuai


CHINA'S Peng Shuai has been living in the shadows of compatriot Li Na since the start of her career but the World No 19 hopes to break away and create her own history on the WTA Tour.
The 26-year-old has beaten several top-10 players including Jelena Jankovic, Francesca Schiavone, Maria Sharapova and Agnieszka Radwanska but sadly, she has not won a title despite appearing in four tour finals.
"I have won many titles in doubles but unfortunately none in singles, though I've come close many times," said Peng Shuai, a gold medallist at the 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games, yesterday.
"My focus is also on my body, where I hope to stay healthy. I can only do better if I am injury free. I've also changed my racquet and I'm playing better.
"Li Na is someone I would want to emulate in the near future. She is an icon in China but I hope to create my own history for my country."
Peng Shuai resumed training under coach Allen Ma in December 2010 after going separate ways for several years. She reckons that Ma is more than just a coach to her.
"He helps with everything, even my personal issues. It was only logical for me to get him back as coach," said the Asian No 2.
Peng Shuai is also aiming for a medal at the London Olympic Games despite tennis being a grass-court event.
"It will be held on grass and I don't like playing on it. Furthermore, it will be tough for me as there are no grass courts in China.
"The Olympic Games is a big event for China and everyone in the national team will want to do well as winning medals mean a lot," she said.
She defeated Austria's Yvonne Meusburger 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 in the opening round of the BMW Malaysian Open on Tuesday and plays qualifier Kristyna Plisikova of the Czech Republic today for a place in the quarter-finals.