Saturday 3 March 2012

Early exits for Sania, Anne



NDIA’S Sania Mirza and Britain’s eighth seed Anne Keothavong were sent packing in the first round of the BMW Malaysian Open at the Bukit Kiara Equestrian and Country Resort yesterday.
Sania, the World No 129, lost 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 to Greece’s World No 81 Eleni Daniilidou while Taiwanese qualifier Hsieh Su Wei brushed aside Anne 6-4, 7-5.
“I was tired from the very beginning to be honest. I was having fever but I choose to start the match anyway so I can’t give excuses,” said Sania yesterday.
Eleni took the first set with relative ease as she broke Sania’s serve in the second, fourth and eighth game compared to Sania who only managed to break the Greek’s serve in the third game.
Just when everyone had dismissed Sania’s chances of making it to the next round, she stunned her opponent in the second set.
She broke Eleni in the first, third and seventh game to win 6-1 and in the process, stretched the match into a decider.
A comeback looked on the cards as Sania saved two match points at 5-3 down but Eleni managed to close the match.
“I was hitting a lot of winners in the third set and thought I could win it but she was just as aggressive,” said Sania.
Sania will now take a break and head to America for several WTA tournament.
“I need to regroup and get fit. That is my goal. I hope I can have another good five weeks in America like last year,” she added.
Eleni faces fourth seed Jarmila Gajdosova in the second round.
“The draw is not easy for me, but I’ve heard that Jarmila has been struggling lately. I’ve never played her so I can’t say much,” said Eleni.
On her first round win, Eleni said: “I had ups and downs during the match. I had expected it to be tough.
“Sania is a great player with experience but she has been struggling with her singles lately.
“I had to prepare myself to be mentally strong too as it is humid but I guess it’s the same for everyone,” said the 29-year-old.
Serbia’s Jelena Jankovic beat France’s Caroline Garcia 7-6, 4-6, 7-6 in a late match yesterday.