Saturday 6 October 2012

Lucky day for duo








FOR two young tennis players, Imran Daniel Abdul Hazli and Nurin Nabilah Roslan, the chance to take part in the recent ATP Malaysian Open coaching clinic was too good an opportunity to pass up.
Seven-year-old Imran and 14-year-old Nurin were among 16 junior players handpicked by the Lawn Tennis Association of Malaysia (LTAM) to join the clinic, which was conducted by Dutchman Igor Sijsling and Brazilian Marcelo Melo.
Daniel, ranked third in the national boys' Under-10 rankings, said: "This is the first time I've taken part in such a clinic and I can't believe how tall these players are!
"I learned quite a bit and I hope one day to become a professional player just like Sijsling and Melo'
Daniel is the son of former national player, Abdul Hazli Zainuddin, who was once ranked second behind V. Selvam.
Nurin, meanwhile, said the experience was truly life changing.
"The clinic was a real eye-opener for me. The players told us so much in that one hour," she gushed.
"I tried my best to learn as much as possible and I will certainly become a better player after this."
The coaching clinic was conducted at the tournament practice courts at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil.
Also present at the clinic was LTAM secretary Ibrahim Abu Bakar.
Sijsling was impressed with some of the participants.
"Even though it was a short clinic, I saw some glimpses of potential from a few of the players.
It was nice to do something like this as we get to see the future of tennis," he said.
Sijsling, the World No 87, who won three Challengers this season, reached the quarter-finals in the Malaysian Open, before bowing out to top seed David Ferrer of Spain.
Melo said he enjoys conducting coaching clinic.
 "It feels good to mingle with kids and see what they can do here. A few had some nice touches and maybe one day one of them may even go on to become a big star," said Melo, who plays doubles.- www.nst.com.my