Monday 1 October 2012

A first for Monaco in KL






 SECOND seed Juan Monaco recorded his first win on hardcourt at the ATP Malaysian Open for his seventh career title after battling past Frenchman Julien Benneteau 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 in an epic men's singles final at Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

The World No 11, however, had to produce his best tennis to subdue an inspired Benneteau, the World No 34, who despite carrying a forearm injury, was determined to become the first 30-over player to capture his maiden tour title since Aussie Wayne Arthurs, who at 33, won in Scottsdale in 2005.

Argentine Monaco, who spent three weeks as a 10th ranked in July, will return to the top-10 when the official rankings are released today.

The 28-year-old, who also won titles in Vina del Mar, Houstan and Hamburg this season, now has a fighting chance of qualifying for his first World Tour Finals in London in November. Only the top eight ranked players will advance to the annual competition.

"I am very happy with the win and how I played throughout the week. Benneteau is a fighter and I always had to be at the top of my game as if I hadn't, I would have lost to him today (yesterday)," said Monaco yesterday.

"This is my first hardcourt win and for that I will always remember Malaysia. I had a great time here, it's a great tournament and I would also like to thank the fans for their support. I will return next year," said Monaco.

"The win here will definitely inspire me to try harder in forthcoming tournaments in Tokyo and Shanghai. I rather focus on my tournaments than think about London."

Benneteau, the seventh seed, called for the trainer twice during the match for his troubled right forearm and another time for a thigh problem.

"I gave my best but it was not enough. I had pain in my forearm two days ago but it was gone until today (yesterday) when I was doing my warm-ups before the final.

"I got it treated and bandaged. It was tough in the first set as the injury affected my serves. The forearm, however, was fine in the following sets as it was warm and hot after treatment."

It was a thrilling first set, which saw both players exchange breaks on four occasions before Monaco sealed the set with a decisive winner in the 12th game. The proceedings in that game lasted about 20 minutes with Monaco only clinching it on his 11th set point.

But a more relaxed Benneteau was quick to break the opening game of the second set but was immediately broken back by Monaco.

The Frenchman, however, managed to get all the crucial play in the fifth game which he held on en route to winning the set.

Monaco gained the upper hand in the third set with a break in the sixth game. He held match point on Benneteau's serve in the eighth game but couldn't convert it before making sure of victory in the next game.

Monaco added: "I saw Benneteau calling for the trainer after the first set for treatment but despite this, he became stronger and I had to play aggressive throughout the match." - www.nst.com.my