Saturday 1 October 2011

Troicki finds his groove

SERBIA'S Viktor Troicki is hoping to build on a confidence boosting outing at the ATP Malaysian Open to propel him into the world's top-10 by year-end.
The 25-year-old, who breezed into the semi-finals with a straight-set win over Russia's Dmitry Tursunov yesterday, said his good outing in Kuala Lumpur has helped him regain some confidence that had been diminished by a four-match losing streak prior to the tournament.
"I lost confidence with myself after losing early at the US Open and also in Cincinnati before coming here.
"It has been a long time since I have reached the semi-finals of a tournament. So it is a great boost for me, especially as I was not in good form coming into this tournament," he said.
Troicki, who had reached a career high ranking of 12 in June, said he had a great start to the year after helping his country to victory in the Davis Cup and shining in the Kremlin Open.
"My confidence was at a really good level then and I thought I would have a great year as I was close to getting into the top 10."
Troicki, who had to choose between tennis and football in his formative years, said he had not regretted the decision to take the racquet sport seriously.
"It was my father who told me to stick to tennis and I have no regrets," said Troicki who earlier this year played in a charity football match together with fellow ATP stars Feliciano Lopez and David Ferrer against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers to raise funds for the Japan Earthquake victims.