Sunday 2 October 2011

Tipsarevic shines despite eye problem

SERBIA'S Janko Tipsarevic has an eye problem but it has not stopped him from making headlines on the ATP Tour.
The World No 17 is short sighted and he wears custom-made glasses to correct his vision.
"I tried putting on contact lenses but it did not work as I felt uncomfortable. My friends told me to try surgery but laser treatment is not for me," said Tipsarevic, who is competing in the ongoing ATP Malaysian Open.
"My vision, without my prescription glasses, is bad under the sun but I also need to wear them for indoor conditions. As for now, I am happy with my glasses."
The 27-year-old, who took up tennis at the age of six, earned his biggest prize in tennis by helping Serbia win the Davis Cup last year.
Tipsarevic, however, has not won an ATP-level title despite coming close in several tournaments.
The Belgrade-born, who achieved his career high ATP ranking of 13 last month, is hoping to break into the top-10 by the end of the year.
"My confidence has gotten better after playing a role in Serbia's Davis Cup victory. If I fail to achieve my target this year, I will probably do it next year," he said.
Tipsarevic, a regular in Asian tournaments, is playing in his first tournament in Southeast Asia at the Malaysian Open.
"As players, we do not need much in tournaments but I like it here as the facilities are good. We have two practice courts here and this really helps us. I will probably return next year," he added.