Wednesday 30 January 2013

Karosi battles stomach upset to win title



AUSTIN KAROSI won the men’s singles title in the BMW Malaysian National Circuit Leg 1 after defeating second seed Si Yew Ming 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 in today’s final.

The Singaporean, who made his debut this year at the BMW Malaysian National Circuit, also bagged prize money of RM4,000.

But things didn’t come easy for the world No. 920 as he was battling a stomach upset and a resilient Yew Ming.

The 22-year-old hard hitter dominated the first set before finishing it off at 6-1.

The momentum shifted to Yew Ming in the second set when Karosi held the lead at 4-2, as the Singaporean found it hard to focus on the match with the stomach upset.

Yew Ming took full advantage of the situation to come back and seal the second set at 7-5.

“It might be because of something I had in the morning; I could feel it acting up and I didn’t know what to do.

“I was hitting well throughout the match until then and Yew Ming took full advantage,” Karosi said.

“He was hardly making any mistakes from the start and he got the better of me in the second set,” said Karosi who called for a toilet break before going into the third set.

His condition was so bad that he vomited in the final set but that helped settle his stomach.

“It was troubling me and I had to get it out and things eventually got better from there on,” added Karosi.

The Singaporean took some time to get himself into the match before sealing the final with a 6-4 victory.

“It has been a long and tiring week for me and I am glad it ended this way. The plus point is that I served really well today, something which I lacked the past few months when I was playing in the Futures tournaments,” said Karosi.

The women’s single finals saw Theviya Selvarajoo defeating Yus Syazlin Nabila Yusri 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 to take home the prize money of RM1,200.

Results
(All Finals) 
Men’s Singles Tier 1: Austin Karosi bt Si Yew Ming 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
Tier 2: Jonathan Nathar bt Bryan Lim 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
Doubles Final: Mohd Ashaari Zainal-Syed Mohd Agil Syed Naguib bt Khoo Er Yang-Mohd Faeez Said 6-1, 7-6 (7-5), 10-6
Womens Singles: Theviya Selvarajoo bt Yus Syazlin Nabila Yusri 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
Doubles: Aslina Chua-Thviya Selvarajoo bt Alyssa Boey-Nurin Nabilah Roslan 6-2, 6-4