Thursday 26 January 2012

Venus' vital stopover

THE upcoming WTA Tour BMW Malaysian Open will serve as part of Venus Williams preparation in search of a fourth Olympic gold medal at next year's London Olympics.
Venus, who won the singles gold at the 2000 Sydney games and partnered sister Serena to win the doubles title at the same event as well as during the 2008 Beijing Games, said the Olympics will certainly be the highlight of 2012 for her.
"I feel good. My aim for 2012 is to get back into the top of the rankings and of course London will be the highlight for me," said the 31-year-old in a statement released by Malaysian Open organisers Carbon Worldwide.
"With the Olympic tennis tournament to be held at Wimbledon next year, the BMW Malaysian Open will be a great opportunity for me to prepare for the rest of the season."
Venus added: "Malaysia is a very important stop during my comeback schedule and will be fantastic opportunity to improve my strength. The heat and humidity will be especially challenging, but I am used to the heat and love the weather."
Currently ranked 104 in the world after a season blighted by injury and illness, the lanky American who possesses one of the most powerful ground-strokes in the women's game is always a threat on any surface and is well known for her ability to come back strongly after an injury.
The seven-time grand slam singles champion added that the good reputation the tournament has among players on the tour and a chance to play in front of her Asian fans was among the factors attracted her to compete in Kuala Lumpur.
"I have heard so much about the country and the city and on Tour and the girls have said great things about the event and the special atmosphere during the matches.
"I have a lot of fans in Asia and the region and I am excited to come over and play in front of them and hope for them to support me throughout the tournament."
Venus, who has only competed in 11 matches since reaching the semi-final of the 2010 US Open, will start her comeback in Auckland before competing in the Australian Open, both in January. - NST