Monday 26 December 2011

Marion eyes stellar start


MARION Bartoli is looking to build on a stellar season with a successful campaign at the WTA Tour BMW Malaysian Open on Feb 27-March 4 at the Bukit Kiara Equestrian and Country Resort.
The 27-year-old, who clinched two titles earlier this year on route to equalling her career high ranking of World No 9 in October, said the Malaysian tournament would play a key role in preparing her for what will be an important year.
"Overall I had a very successful year (2011) and was able to reach the quarters in Wimbledon, the final at Stanford and having another win in Osaka," said the Frenchwoman.
Marion, who played in the Malaysian Open last year, said: "I very much enjoyed the warm climate and the event (Malaysian Open) which set up a great run for me this year where I reached the semi-finals at the French Open and won at Eastbourne.
"Finishing in the Top 10 this year was a great success and for 2012, I certainly hope to improve on this position.
"The BMW Malaysian Open will be a very important date in my schedule for the coming season where my focus will be on the Grand Slams and especially the Olympics in London."
Marion, who has nine career singles titles to her name, said the very intimate settings of the Malaysian Open were among the reasons she decided to return to Kuala Lumpur.
"I had a great time in Malaysia last year and my father (her coach) and myself enjoyed the great hospitality and support from the spectators during the event," said Marion.