Friday 10 June 2011

Er Yan and Jawairiah power Negri to overall title

KHOO Er Yang and Jawairiah Noordin carried Negri Sembilan to the Malaysian Games overall Malaysia Games tennis title at the National Tennis Centre (NTC) in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday
Negri dominated with a haul of five gold and five bronze medals followed by Selangor (2-5-2) and Federal Territories (0-2-5).
Er Yang, who turns 17 on Aug 25, got his revenge over Juan Antonio Los Santos by beating the Selangor star 6-3, 6-1 for the men's singles gold medal, while Jawairiah hammered Selangor's Alyssa Boey 6-1, 6-1 to retain her women's crown for the third successive time.
But Er Yang's victory yesterday could be his last in a major competition as the Seremban-born player now wants to concentrate on his studies.
"I have decided to stop playing on the ITF world junior circuit as I will be sitting for SPM later in the year. I will keep training for local events. I am still unsure on whether to pursue a professional career in tennis or concentrate on studies. I will decide after my exams," said Er Yang at NTC.
Compatriot Jawairiah added another gold to her name by winning the mixed doubles with national singles champion Syed Agil Syed Naguib. The Negri pair edged Los Santos-S. Theiviya 6-1, 4-6, 10-4.
Jawairiah, the national champion, will now re-launch her career by competing on the WTA Tour once again. The 21-year-old will be funded by the National Sports Council (NSC).
"It's my dream to be among the top 300 players in the world. I hope to achieve it in my second try on the tour. I will start playing in it in August.
"I've wasted two years of my career by just playing in local tournaments. I hope my second try will be a successful one," said Jawairiah, who will be ready to represent the country in the Indonesia Sea Games, if selected by the Lawn Tennis Association of Malaysia (LTAM).


RESULTS (All Finals) -- Men's singles: Khoo Er Yang (NS) bt Juan Antonio Santos (Sel) 6-3, 6-1; bronze: Wan Abdul Muiz (FT) and Mohd Faeez Said (NS).

Doubles: Syed Agil Syed Naguib-Fazree Said (NS) bt Marcus Chee-Kevin Loke (FT) 6-2, 7-5; bronze: Syed Ariffin Syed Naguib-Mohd Faeez Said (NS) and Ahmad Fauzan-Sean Yip (FT).

Women's singles: Jawairiah Noordin (NS) bt Alyssa Boey (Sel) 6-1, 6-1; bronze: Ti Jia Wei (Pah) and R. Archnaah (Sel).

Doubles: S. Theiviya-Adelle Boey (Sel) bt Alyssa Boey-R. Archnaah (Sel) 3-2 (rtd); bronze: Delizavernne Kaur-Ti Jia Min (Pah) and Ti Jia Wei-Nur Eliza Khairul (Pah).

Mixed doubles: Syed Agil Syed Naguib-Jawairiah Noordin (NS) bt Juan Antonio Los Santos- S. Theiviya 6-1, 4-6, 10-4; bronze: Marcus Chee-Tan Jia Yi (KL) and Kevin Loke-Hyda Yazmin (KL).