Croatian tennis star Marin Cilic is set to make his debut in the Malaysian Open ATP 250 from Sept 21-29 at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil despite being investigated for failing a dope test.
The world No. 18, who lost to world No. 2 Andy Murray in the final of
the Queen’s Club Championships in London in June, reportedly failed a
drug test last month and subsequently pulled out from the ongoing
But the 24-year-old Cilic, who claimed that he failed the test
because of high glucose levels, has not been banned by the International
Tennis Federation (ITF) or the ATP Tour. He is also set to compete in
the US Open, which will be held from Aug 26-Sept 9.
“Cilic is being investigated for the failed dope test but he is not
banned by the ITF or ATP ... he is free to enter and play in
tournaments,” said Malaysian Open organisers IMG in a statement.
Apart from Cilic, the Malaysian Open can also boast having the likes
of world No. 4 David Ferrer of Spain, world No. 9 Stanislas Wawrinka
(Switzerland), world No. 15 Nicolas Almagro (Spain), defending champion
Juan Monaco (Argentina) and former finalists Marcos Baghdatis (Cyprus)
and Julien Bennetau (France).
Monaco is glad to be returning to Malaysia.
“You always want to go back to a place where you have done well, so
I’m very happy to come back to KL ... this year, I’m bringing along my
Davis Cup team-mates – Carlos Berlocq, Leonardo Mayer and Horacio
Zeballos,” he said.
A fifth Argentine – Federico Delbonis – who stunned Swiss maestro
Roger Federer in the German Open last month, will also be competing,
taking up one of the special exempt slots.
“We are delighted that so many marquee names have decided to come to
KL for the tournament’s fifth anniversary,” said tournament director
“In addition to the top names like Ferrer and Wawrinka, the likes of
Almagro, Cilic, (Andreas) Seppi, (Vasek) Pospisil and Delbonis will make
this tournament more exciting.” - www.thestar.com.my